|1700-1712 W. Morse|
The convent building on the right is in the same location as the original (wood) St. Jerome's Church, which was built in the 1890s. In 1914 the congregants hired architect Charles Prindeville to design the Italian Renaissance Revival Church to the north, which was completed in 1916. It's likely that the convent was added around that same time, since the congregation still owned that parcel. The church was substantially lengthened in the 1930s, requiring an abandonment of the alley right-of-way and opening up the property for additional development. A rectory with distinct Art Deco touches was built along Lunt in 1939, replacing the wooden St. Paul's by the Lake, which had been on the NW corner of the site since the 1890s.
This block really deserves an in-depth treatment of its own, but that will have to wait for a future post. Or series of posts. If any old-time Roger Parkers want to clarify what was built when please feel free to comment below.