|North intersection of Devon and Artesian|
As West Ridge developed Devon became a high-end commercial strip with a number of impressive terra cotta buildings constructed in the 1920s. This district served an explosion of new homeowners attracted by the development of affordable bungalows. At the time the area still had some of the open agricultural character which marked the first development of the neighborhood.
These two buildings represent the second wave of architectural development, with a more streamlined appearance and less ornamentation. Both are clad with Indiana limestone, similar to the Moderne-style skyscrapers going up in the Loop around the same time. The building on the left, originally Hillman's Grocery, was designed by the firm of Leichenko & Esser in 1942. It's unusual to find commercial construction built during WWII, when most materials were shunted to the military or to housing. The building on the right was designed by Albert Hecht and constructed in 1939. It was originally a Rusnak Brother's Furniture, an early franchise with outlets throughout Chicago.
And here's the black and white version, which will be offered for bid. Although there have been a few improvements since this scan was taken.