![]() |
| Figure 1. Site block plan. |
According to an article published in the Chicago Tribune on March 31, 1929, these buildings represented a $480,000 investment on behalf of the developer. That's nearly $6.5 million in 2012 dollars. That was an ambitious undertaking for a small developer. And as a side note, this was just a few months away from the onset of the Great Depression.
![]() |
| Figure 2. East side of N. Hoyne. |
On the east side of the block are the Spanish Revival styles. They all have various types of wrought iron balconies and a pale cream brick, which was seen as appropriate to the style. The upper floors have casement windows and French doors, while the ground level has double-hung windows with similar pane divisions. The casement windows alone are worth a visit. Few original casements survive from the 20s, and this block has an impressive number. Imagine how much these buildings would lose with simple double-hung replacements.
![]() |
| Figure 3. Door details |
I'm particularly impressed by the door on the left. Not only is it an arched door in a rounded tower, but the door itself is curved to match the tower's radius. The middle door is set within an ornamental stone surround that I can only describe as Art Deco. The simplicity of the door to the right is offset by a complex portal window, which reflects some of the arched window treatments on the block. Two have elaborate copper kick-plates and decorative hinges attached with rivets.
![]() |
| Figure 4. West side of N. Hoyne. |
The west side of the block is even more elaborate. Curved towers and complex roof forms anchor these buildings, which have random-cut limestone veneers at the lower floors and brick above. The half-timbering designs are works of art in themselves. The false mansard roofs on this side of the street are large, making them easier to read than the Spanish-style roof forms across the street.
![]() |
| Figure 5. More door details. |
The doors are great, each with a unique design and window pattern. They all have the same copper kick-plates and hinges seen on the east side of the block. And I've never seen a window pattern quite like the one found on the center door.
The Tribune article indicates that Emma Kennett designed these buildings with the help of Herbert J. Richter. A casual internet search couldn't identify Mr. Richter. I assumed he was the architect, but according to the Chicago Historic Resources Survey, Arthur Bucket is the architect of record. This would make sense, since I already found Arthur Bucket's name associated with the corner apartment building at Farwell and Oakley, which I wrote about previously. So who is Herbert Richter? It requires some more research...
It was great to find these buildings included in the Chicago Historic Resources Survey, and it gives me an opportunity to illustrate the value of a good survey sheet. In addition to a site map and small photograph, the surveyor also creates a narrative about the building's architectural significance. The account below explains why architectural historians are in constant danger of walking in front of cars while wandering through the city:
![]() |
| Figure 6. 7451-7455 N. Hoyne |
Symmetrical facade centers on semi-circular plan bay/stair tower with portal at base and topped with a hexagonal roof and finial. Romanseque casement windows on either side of door topped with six-paned fan light. All windows in sets of threes except baseement of simple Roman arch. First floor fenestration repeats casement-fanlight treament with a colonade of counter-spiralled pilasters.It's exhausting to read too many of these, so I'm just including this one as a representative sample. Some descriptions are much longer.
Third floor bays have pairs of French doors opening onto balconies flanked by smaller windows.
Stylized Italianate eave brackets lead the eye to small windows on 2nd/3rd floors, one with ornated carved limestone surrounds and pilasters.
Door is carved, paneled oak with semicircular leaded overglass with peep windows at eye level. Keystones, sills, brackets and spiral columns rendered in stone. Limestone coping on south corner gate repeats brackets at roofline. The lion finial weathervane atop tower [Did I miss this, or is it gone?], false hinges on doors and kickplate are hammered copper.
![]() |
| Figure 7. L.B. Sugarman's rendering of the west side of Hoyne. From a Chicago Tribune ad published March 31, 1929. |
And of course, I need to include the rendering (poorly reproduced) by L.B. Sugarman. He provided a number of perspective drawings for Kennett Construction.







I do not see a link for a survey sheet, site map or photograph of these buildings under the Chicago Historic Resources Survey link, but would love to peruse them. Could you help me out with this? Thank you, I would appreciate it!
ReplyDeleteI understand if this is beyond the scope of resources available to me as a layman!
ReplyDeleteSusan, the survey forms aren't available online. They have to be viewed at the City, which takes some prior arrangement. If I can find my old research file I'll post them here.
DeleteThat's okay, Larry. Thank you for sharing the Chicago Historic Resources Survey link. Now I can explore the definitions of some of the buildings stylistic influences!
DeleteIt is so interesting to hear about Emma Kennett. I now know she has been involved in a number of buildings in Rogers Park. I don't know why she was not given some credit for her work.
I love your blog, and am looking through previous posts. It is wonderful to imagine what and who traveled these sidewalks before we did.
She is my great grandma. My dad is writing this. My name is Eric.
ReplyDeleteEmma Kennet went on to develope the north shore, West Lake Forest. She retired in Santa Barbara ocean front and bought and ran the El Encanto Hotel from 1960-1976.
Emma was also my great grandmother. So glad you have posted this. If you are in Santa Barbara go visit El Encanto. Emma was the only woman to ever own this
ReplyDeletehotel. My dad would often travel to help his grandmother with the hotel. If you find any more info please let me know!!!! Thank you! Brooke
Thank you for your comment! If I ever get back to this I need to tell the second half of her story...
Delete