Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Five Weeks Downtown


Well, I've been working in the Loop for over a month. I have to say, it's pretty great. Easy commute, meaningful work, and an architectural bonanza ever time I step off the train. I'm visiting historic districts I didn't know existed, and dealing with design and construction issues every day. In the evening I walk onto LaSalle and just feel lucky to be here.


I've renewed a fascination with the geometric Art Deco ornaments downtown. The drawing above is from a decorative metal grate at 2 N. Riverside Plaza. If you exit from Ogilvie Station onto Madison you can't miss them. The summer before I started graduate school I was required to take a drafting class prior to admission. I remember standing in front of these things, sketching. Strange to think that 7 years later, I'm back.

No comments:

Post a Comment