|L. Shure, 2015|
According to the Chicago Historic Resources Survey (CHRS) this was designed by architect Edward Perry Steinberg. Steinberg designed several of these medieval-inspired commercial buildings, complete with half-timber details and herringbone brick infill. Or at least those were some of his buildings picked up by the survey. (See below.)
Edward Steinberg was one of many unsung Chicago architects who had a long and productive career but never really came into the public eye. Even so, his work continues to contribute to neighborhood character throughout the city. According to his 1975 Tribune obituary he designed movie theaters for the Lubliner & Trinz chain (including the former Belpark Theater), as well as the W.F. Hall Printing Corporation at 4600 W. Diversey (now demolished). He was also a founding member and architect for the former B'Nai Zion Synagogue at 1445 W. Pratt.
|2324 W. Devon|
|Photo on the left by the author, and the two on the right from the CHRS.|