Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Rowhouse Chicago - Introduction


229-241 N. Sacramento, 1895

Recently I've been looking at the rowhouse in Chicago.  This is a building type that appears again and again, from elaborate versions of the 1890s to low income housing of the 1940s. Because there are thousands of these in Chicago I developed some selection criteria to maintain my sanity. These are a bit arbitrary, but I had to start somewhere:

-Constructed between 1870 and 1970
-A minimum of 3 units
-Shared common walls
-Separate entrances
-At least two stories
-Linear arrangement
-Not a designated Chicago Landmark

2454 E. 106th, 1938

These are presented with minimal elaboration.  In many cases windows, porches and rooflines have been restored with ink based on whatever evidence or expertise I could muster.  There are bound to be some mistakes.

To preserve an accurate sense of proportion I've drawn the buildings in elevation.  The line drawings are then scanned and tone added digitally.  I tried to avoid perspective, although I've had to break that rule on occasion...

2901-2909 W. Granville, 1958

I won't be going into too much detail about source material, but when I use ideas that aren't my own I'll provide a reference.

For previous series I would write and draw as I went.  In this case I need to make sense of a few dozen images chosen mostly by my subconscious.  New entries will be added irregularly.  If it turns out OK I'll look into putting it on paper.

If you have comments or suggestions feel free to post below or email (larryshure at gmail dot com).  I know I don't need to say this, but all images are protected and cannot be reposted without permission.

4 comments:

  1. We just called them townhouses. There are tons of them in Skokie, Morton Grove & Niles. The Skokie ones seem to be almost from the same architect, as they are close to identical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2901-2909 W. Granville I would never have looked at and thought "rowhouse" but there it is. I will now. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's an interesting Victorian row in Evanston at Maple and Greenleaf. Here's a street view. https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0378141,-87.6851486,3a,75y,84.86h,90.57t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6xQIzwn1DIZ_2EjuDmtjWA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

    ReplyDelete