The neighborhood of Rogers Park was incorporated as the Village of Rogers Park in 1878, but many of the earliest lots were subdivided in 1872 and 1873 and reflect a more suburban scale and character, with generous frontage and depth. The area was annexed to Chicago in 1893 and the extension of city services and utilities led to steadily increasing development and density. Many lots intended for purchase in the 1870s were subdivided to make them more attractive for the modest homes that came to the neighborhood in the 1900s and 1910s. But the new lots still needed alley access, especially with the increasing popularity of the automobile.
|Primary Alley Leading to Secondary Alley|
|Grassy Private Alley|
When a platted area is cut into smaller parcels a secondary alley will often become a part of that subdivision. These are narrower, but are also public right-of-ways. As fire-fighting equipment has become larger it's no longer acceptable to create these narrow alleys.
|Private Alley Resembling Driveway|
The base maps for this post were developed from 80-acre maps on the City of Chicago's website and the 1937 edition of Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps accessed through the website of the Chicago Public Library. Information about the public right-of-way reference CDOT's "Street and Site Plan Design Standards," also available on the City of Chicago's website. All the sketches above are all taken from the study area.