Friday, May 4, 2018

View at Sheridan and Pratt

View from Sheridan looking Northeast towards Pratt.
Sometimes the spaces created between buildings are just as interesting as the buildings themselves.  I'm especially drawn to taller buildings with irregular footprints and deep courtyards.  The negative space creates  complex pinwheeling shapes that most people sense, but don't consciously appreciate.

I've written about both of these buildings before.  They represent the transition of Sheridan Road from a leisurely lane lined with mansions to a more dense and urban thoroughfare.

Here are the previous posts:

6801 N. Sheridan- Rogers Park Hotel, 1922

6757-6765 N. Sheridan, 1917

 





2 comments:

  1. Quite possibly my favorite corner in all of Chicago. Lived about 50 feet from that view for almost 10 years. The Rogers Park Hotel is such a gem. It has a new owner now and they seem to be remodeling apartments. I hope that doesn't make it unaffordable for those who live there today. If they allowed dogs, I'd figure out how to make enough money so I could live there in a small place for part of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s such a nice area. Close to the lake, plenty of places to eat and get coffee, a used bookstore, an affordable movie theater... I could go on.

    ReplyDelete